December 13, 2018 Board of Directors Meeting
REGULAR EXPLORE BUTTE COUNTY BOARD MEETING AGENDA – December 13, 2018
Butte County Association of Governments, Board Room
326E Huss Drive, Chico
12:00 – 2:00 PM
PURPOSE: The purpose of this corporation shall be to promote Butte County tourism through the development and operation of a tourism business improvement district and other programs and initiatives.
STRATEGIC OBJECTIVES: 1) Establish EBC as a recognized leader driving county tourism effort to achieve 100% jurisdictional buy-in by 2020; 2) Establish EBC as the authority in tourism by developing and deploying creative assets that promote Butte County as preferred travel destination; 3) Solidify the administrative function of EBC.
- Call to Order and Roll Call – 12:00 p.m. in the BCAG Board Room, 326 Huss Lane, Building E, Chico
- CONSENT AGENDA
- PUBLIC COMMENT
The public is invited to address the Board regarding any non-agenda items at this time. Time is limited to 3-minutes per speaker. The Board may not take any action on public comment.
- REGULAR AGENDA
4.1 CONSIDERATION OF ZONE MARKETING PROJECTS: Zone Marketing Project Information
The Zone Marketing Committee was tasked with convening to redevelop the Zone Marketing Grant program to be more user-friendly and offer a clearer path to apply for funding. The committee has not been able to meet since the direction was given by the Board. There are sponsorship opportunities available now that would meet the goal of the funding, which is to support marketing the “zone” and enhance the marketing effort for Explore Butte County, and ultimately drive additional overnight stays. The Executive Director was given the authority to fund zone projects at $5,000 or below if they met the objectives set forth by the Board, but because that process has not been updated and approved, the Executive Director would like the Board to consider the following zone projects for funding.
Recommendation: To use zone marketing budget to fund the following projects, at the following dollar amounts from the appropriate and corresponding zone budget. Each project will, at a minimum, report their results as dictated in the presentation.
- Chico: Great Race – City Sponsorship $5,000
- Event date: June 24, 2019
- 275 room-nights, advertising opportunity, booth option
- Chico: International Association of Water Rescue Professionals, Inc – Sponsorship $5,000
- Event dates: April 1-3, 2019
- Funded from Chico zone
- Multiple room nights from as far as New Zealand and Japan
- Opportunity to become the California destination for swift water rescue training
- Chico: Chico Velo – Gold Sponsorship $10,000
- Funded from Chico zone
- Partnership opportunity to keep overnight stays in Butte with use of JackRabbit (already sharing this)
- EBC logo on shirts and posters, mentions in advertising
- Use of their footage for our sharing
- Multiple events throughout the year
- Access to zip code information to better understand the visitor and where they are coming from
The Budget Committee met on December 3, 2018, after direction was given from the Board about line item detail, unrestricted net assets, and impacts to projected income. The committee drafted a final budget for board approval.
Recommendation: The Budget Committee recommends the Board of Directors approves the 2019 final draft budget with the following information clarified:
- Paradise TBID collection has been completely removed from income and the remainder of the jurisdiction income was decreased by 10% due to the anticipated impact from long-term stays on collection of TBID;
- Sales and marketing activities are being supplemented by $400,000 from existing unrestricted net assets;
- The budget is built to have a negative net income; and,
- There remains more than $400,000 in unrestricted net assets with an additional $200,673.29 in the restricted reserve account for TBID renewal fees and zone marketing.
4.3 APPOINTMENT OF NOMINATIONS COMMITTEE:
Each year the Board may appoint a Nominations Committee composed of at least three (3) Directors. Nominations for Directors shall be submitted in writing to the Nominations Committee not less than 60 days prior to the Annual Meeting. The recommendations of the Nominations Committee shall be submitted to the Board at least 30 days prior to the Annual Meeting, which recommendations will ensure compliance with Article V, Section 4. Election of Directors shall be conducted at the Annual Meeting.
Recommendation: It is recommended that the Nominations Committee be convened to begin the nominations process for the Annual Meeting scheduled for March 14, 2019. One of those appointed must be designated as the Chair and the Chair must be a Director.
- REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS
5.1 Marketing Report Bruce Spangler
5.2 Update on Strategic Objectives Nicole Johansson, Bruce Spangler