The Dixie Fire is currently active in the northeastern part of Butte County along the Butte-Plumas County line. See updated information and general affected area here.
- The fire has prompted several road closures, including along Highways 70 and 32; get the latest from Caltrans here.
- Evacuation orders and warnings are in effect for select communities - see the latest evacuation map here (red = order, yellow = warning).
- Smoke from the fire is affecting local air quality. Find the latest on the air quality here.
The rest of the county is unaffected by the fire and is safe to visit. Chico, Oroville, Paradise, Gridley, Biggs, and the rest of unincorporated Butte County west and south of the fire region is open for visitation. Highway 99 is safe to travel as is Highway 70 through Oroville.
- We encourage travelers to contact businesses they wish to visit before traveling to determine their current status of operation.
- Butte County’s Mediterranean climate, distinguished by cool, wet winters and hot, dry summers, creates conditions that are ideal for agriculture, but also may result in occasional seasonal weather-related events.
- Butte County is a large region encompassing nearly 1,700 square miles. Most often weather-related issues occur in one portion of the county with the great majority of the area completely unaffected.
- When traveling to any destination, especially during the peak time periods for weather-related events, visitors should be aware of the potential for a situation that will require immediate action. All travel-related cautions should be considered when making arrangements for any trip.
- Travelers should consult a reputable traveler checklist such as the following before traveling: Travelers from abroad click here and domestic travelers click here.
- Should media reports mention Butte County County and you have questions, consult either your lodging property, or Explore Butte County at (530) 918-4585 or on social media via Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for updated and accurate information.
- Butte County Sherriff's Office social media updates: Facebook and Twitter
- Cal Fire-Butte County social media updates: Facebook and Twitter
- County of Butte social media updates: Twitter
- US Forest Service - Plumas National Forest social media updates: Facebook and Twitter
- US Forest Service - Lassen National Forest social media updates: Facebook and Twitter
- Sign up for Butte County Emergency Alerts
- Air Quality
- CAL Fire
- CAL FIRE Wildfire Preparedness
- California Firesafe Council
- Butte County Road Conditions map
- FCC/FEMA Emergency Communications Tips
- FEMA app
- PG&E – Be Prepared for Emergencies
- PG&E – Wildfire Safety Program
- Public Safety Power Shutoff
- Ready.gov – Be Informed: Power Outages
- Ready.gov – Be Informed: Wildfires
- Red Cross – Disaster Safety for People with Disabilities
- Road closures listed by county
- Visit California – Travel Alerts
- US Travel Association Emergency Readiness and Response
- West Coast Travel Facts
- Public Safety Power Shutoff Fact Sheet (pdf)
- Public Safety Power Shutoff Statewide Fact Sheet (pdf)